I tried to make meringues one other time… Oh buddy did that fail or what! Previous Meringue Attempt. I have watched this video at least three times. I wrote down/transcribe the video on here for myself. I am quick curious if this is going to work because I have watched the more recent videos of Jemma and the ingredients/steps are slightly differ just a tad. I am going to stick with this one and see how it goes…. Disclaimer: I just Googled the conversions so I don’t know if that is really correct…
Some reason my mixture was still grainy. I know the rule is to keep mixing until its smooth but it was like 95% smooth. Ehh, close enough. They look like little poo shapes, I didn’t know what to do so that’s how it turned out. Within a few minutes some already started to lean.
Result: Almost! Still a no. The outside is nice and crunch however the middle is a little grey! I found another video Jemma is on Jamie Oliver. I guess I heard the instruction wrong. In that video she said 150 C. I am so determined to succeed. My plan is going to attempt again tomorrow.
– 5 large egg whites
– 300g caster sugar (about 1.5 cups)
– dash of vanilla extract
– pinch of salt
What to do:
1. Wipe the mixing bowl and whisk with vinegar to make sure it is grease free.
2. Pour the egg whites
3. Turn on the mixer on low speed until bubbles starts/turn foamy and then speed up the mixture to medium/high speed
4. Once stiff peaks form, the mixture is back on high speed, add the sugar one spoonful at a time.
5. Whisk for 6-7 mins or until it becomes all glossy. (you can check by getting some of the mixture in-between your thumb and forefinger. If it’s grainy, you need to whisk for a for more minutes.)
6. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
7. Add pinch of salt
8. Scoop the mixture in a bag and then pipe it out on a baking parchment paper.
9. Preheat oven to 150 degree C (302 degree F), once you put the meringues in the oven turn it down to 100 degree C (212 degree F) bake for 30-40 minutes. (When they can come off the paper easily)